(More musings from 2038)
Apparently "queer" is back to being a pejorative, but not how it used to be. They're using it to describe all the ex-gay fanatics that are now in jail. From what I gather, "queer" means anyone who is zealous in their piety.
Today the networks interrupted regular programming to show the parole hearing of one of the head honchos from Exodus. PBS 3 (remember when that was NBC?) had a commentary by this one ex-member and his sister, which nearly made me break down in tears. As much as I like this new Liberal government in the US, sometimes I do hate these transparency-in-court laws. Still, this was history, especially for me.
For nearly two hours, we heard testimony of the brutal brainwashing that they forced upon people. All this talk about how "god will hate you if you act upon your nature." Disturbing. The most unnerving one to me was when the woman who could barely speak after her tracheotomy, which was brought on by a botched suicide attempt. Yet, the guy remained defiant. His whole world seemed to be defined by twisting religion as hate.
You know, I saw the Dahmer trial live and uncensored while growing up (which featured the first time I had ever heard the word "fuck" on broadcast television), but that didn't unnerve me as much as this. I was seriously shaking by the time it was all over.
And yet, I was happy that I've lived long enough to see it.
2 comments:
What will B&B be like in 2038?
Openly gay characters? Ex-ex gay serial killers lurking about Beverly Hills......
Great post as usual.
I see a plotline involving who stole Thorne's mint-condition collection of Torso.
Post a Comment