Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Possible Answers

Here's a possibility for the closeted couple from yesterday's Daily News blind item:

The talk show host: Tavis Smiley

The playwright: Tyler Perry

Well...erm...that's an interesting couple. For those who aren't familiar with the names; Tavis Smiley hosts a well-known if not popular (especially amongst blacks) talk show that's along the lines of Charlie Rose. Tyler Perry is the (HACK) writer behind many "chitlin circuit" plays, most notably Diary of A Mad Black Woman, which was a sleeper hit as a film earlier this year. He lives in Atlanta, I believe (Pookie can you confirm?) in a mansion that I think he had painted pink.

Now, I know fully well that cross-dressing goes on all across the sexual spectrum, but the fact that Perry's plays often feature himself playing loud-mouthed sassy grandmother Madea makes you wonder. (Personally, I don't necessarily buy Smiley, but who knows?)

Standard set up of a Perry play: Decent person or persons go astray, Madea sasses them into church, they find salvation in god after a lot of screaming about how they're mad at themselves.

He's the new Tennessee Williams, he is.

2 comments:

Pookie65 said...

I asked a friend in Atlanta if Tyler :Perry had a home there and he didn't know. Of courser this particular friends idea of performance art was seeing a drag show followed by strippers on a Friday night... I did some research and found a video interview with Oprah http://www2.oprah.com/video/200503/home/home_20050304_1.jhtml which tours his home. So he does live there.

Damn he's cute.

Hikaru said...

That's one HUGE closet!