Thursday, August 11, 2005

Political Guilt: New York City Edition

These past two days, I've gotten hand-outs from two politicians that I really don't think I'm going to vote for. What makes it worse is that I really wish I could, but there's just nothing sbout them to make me switch my opinion, as least as it stands now.

Case #1: Gifford Miller (Mayoral candidate). The Empire State Pride Agenda is supporting him, but I just think he seems a bit too meek and not tenacious enough for me. Yes, it's great that he cut off funding for the West Side Stadium (aka the stadium nobody wanted for the Olympics that nobody wanted). It's also great that he's the youngest City Council Speaker in New York City history. As I don't have children (and I wouldn't raise them in New York if I did), I could care less about what he does for schools, except on a "they should at least know that Latvia is a real country" level.

Case #2: Brian Ellner (Manhattan Borough Presidential candidate). I had previously described my reservations with Ellner last month. My opinion has not changed. He's all good intentions, but I just don't think he can cut it on a large level. Yes, I definitely would like a gay Borough President, especially one whose campaign literature says "...without rent control I would never had the chance to grow up in Manhattan." He also is in favour of universal health care, stem cell research, and marriage equality (well, duh), but I just don't think he has the experience to make it work. He needs to convince me to vote for him, because I won't vote for symbolic reasons this time. (If I was voting for symbolism, then I'd support Fields for Mayor, but I don't.)

I don't know who I'm voting for vis-a-vis Borough president yet, but I think Anthony Weiner has a good shot with my vote for Mayor. He just seems like new blood, but experienced on the Federal level.

Nonetheless, this all may change by next month, and that's what matters.

You want to know how bizarre things are getting? I am not entirely dismissing La Pirro since she's seemingly more openly pro-gay than Hilary. It might just be August heat and humidity, but I'm listening to what she says. It'll take a lot more than camp value for me to switch over the Republicans, but my ears are open.

No comments: