Wednesday, November 02, 2005

RIP Conviction

I’ve come to the conclusion that the era of people having convictions and standing by them is coming to a close. Perhaps it’s a sign of maturity and it’s always been this way, or perhaps it’s a whole societal shift. Personally, I don’t know, but it’s a sad state of affairs nonetheless.

What’s made me take notice of this has been seeing all these Democrats all of a sudden run to support Bloomberg. I’m not necessarily referring to sociopaths like Brian Ellner and Jonathan Capehart, but rank and file nominally liberal ones. It boggles the mind how in a city that has 6 Democrats for every 1 Republican, that the Republican candidate is leading by 30%. Some people say it’s because he’s doing a good job. Those people tend to not have much on their mind other than getting their end over on a Friday night. They do not want to think. Thinking causes them to question the futility of their existence. They will register as Democrat in a Democratic city; they will register as Republican in a Republican city. Oh hell, I’ll cut to the chase, they are basically sheep.

Sheep are prevalent in American society, because there is a vicious disease running through this country, a disease called “I’m afraid to stand up for what I believe in, because it might not be popular.” “I won’t stand up for what I believe in because I’m scared.” Everybody wants to back the winner, even if they don’t really care about the winner, because at least they aren’t the loser. It’s just unfathomable to be the loser.

Well, let’s start changing that. Whether you win or lose, go down believing what you believe. History remembers those who are unique, not those who were part of the masses. A vast amount of people don’t want to stand out, but every time that you don’t stand up for what truly matters to you (and forget how much elected officials can actually do), your identity dies.

If you see your identity as secondary to being with the in crowd, then enjoy the primordial ooze.

1 comment:

Bougie Black Boy said...

Yeah good references. I agree with you. Stand up for what you believe in. Even if it makes you an outsider. And as I always say--it's our duty to use our outsidership as a vehicle.