Monday, November 07, 2005

What I Do All Day

To answer a question that a lot of people have, I do work.

I'm a freelance writer and work from home. Essentially, the majority of my work is cleaning up grammar and spelling, which I find quite funny, since I think that my own isn't that great to start with. In between projects, I work on plays, do notes for plays, and [after spending the month of June housebound] take time off to watch The Bold & The Beautiful. (Speaking of which, they just need to give Susan Flannery the Emmy now.)

Currently, I'm working on three scripts.

In the middle of writing: A play about anorexia and body image. I'm nearly finished with Act 1. I don't rewrite until I have a production, so I ponder dialogue very closely before writing. Sometimes I can finish a play in a month, other times, it takes me nigh on a year. The latter is the case here.

Note-taking stage: A true-crime play (that's all I can say about it now in a public forum).

Brainstorming: My second ever spec script for television.

6 comments:

dondon009 said...

Well now, you know I read every word you write.... so when I noticed that you had spent the month of June housebound, I became concerned.... you are, after all my very favorite BLOGMASTER! I went to June, carefully reading each post.... becoming more and more concerned as you wrote about blood, corsets, etc. OMG I'm thinging.... did my man have a kindey transplant, maybe a collapsed lung. broken ribs.... poor poor baby. I continued reading and still found nothing. Now to the month of May. More reading about pain, can't lie down, more blood, Sweet Jezus... what the fuck. Then I finally got to the photo and "diagnosis". A freakin tummy tuck? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! YOU owe me an appletini or a double gin and tonic..... twist of lime; actually hold the tonic, hold the lime! YOU are a trip!

Hikaru said...

Your comment cracked me up, DonDon.

What can I say? I can access my drama queen with ease.

Appletini and gin on me.

Bougie Black Boy said...

I think you sugar-coated saturday night quite well!

Anonymous said...

Now that I know what you do, how the hell do people in your field eat? It's not like freelancing pays a lot or often. Oh well. If the job pays the bills and enables you to live the life of a rock star at Splash, so be it.

Hikaru said...

Well, there's sacrifices and fortunately, going on occasional all protein shake diets is no problem at all for me.

Bougie Black Boy said...

Well to take up for Hikaru and his freelancing. I'm two years older, and worked for years as a freelancer. And, if you play your cards right, have the right contacts, you can live well off of it. And to be honest, I made more money as a freelancer than I currently make. However I had no benefits, etc.

companies are willing to pay freelancers more money than their own employees for the very reason that no benefits are paid and it comes from a separate budget.