Remember what I said in September? Well, it applies double now. Not only because it's your damn civic duty, but also because you might encounter the idiots that I had the misfortune to be sandwiched between at the polls this morning and you don't want them making decisions affecting your life, don't you?
Idiot #1: A stunned gormless fool wearing a "Berkeley" shirt who couldn't manage to figure out how to operate the sodding voting booth. You pull the lever before you vote and pull it again when you are finished! He also verbally pointed out that he was voting Republican. So apparently Magic Johnson isn't the only Californian that Bloomie is bringing in to rig this election. I gave him a cold stare not rarely seen outside of International Falls for his traitorous actions. (Not to mention the fact that it's just not right to mention who you're voting for while you are at the booth!) I hope his income plummets to zero, his company goes into receivership, and all his accreditations are disqualified. Don't mess with me, I know voodoo priestesses.
Idiot #2: This stunned fool didn't bring his ID. Excuse me? Was I the only person who had it drilled into his head that you do not leave your home without any identification? The nice woman volunteering at the booth (I had a very nice conversation with her while Idiot #1 was still arsing about in the booth) asked him for it and his face was just awash with the shock that: A) He didn't have it on him; and B) that she asked him to prove who he was. Do people not remember the voter fraud scandals last year and in 2000?! For all she knows, he could be a felon or someone trying to muck up the elections. Luckily for him (and unfortunately for those of us who believe in fair elections), another poll worker said that he was not required to show photo identification. I chose that moment to take out my photo ID and display it prominently. Sometimes you just have to educate these fools with a visual aid.
So there you have it, these are the fools shaping your public policy. If you don't get your ass out and vote properly they will truly give us a government run and chosen by dunces.
By the way, if you live in Maine or Texas, you had better get out and vote against institutionalised discrimination against gays. In Maine, the single celled organisms of The (so-called) Christian Civil League are trying to overturn Maine's civil rights law that protects LGBT residents from discrimination in housing, employment, and credit. While in Texas, there is a measure to amend the state constitution to ban gay marriage--which is sadly already banned by law, so this is basically the bigots trying to stomp down even harder on civil rights.
On a less moral but still important note, for New Yorkers who live and/or work on the East Side from Lexington Avenue to the East River, you'd be wise to vote for Proposition 2, which will authorise construction on the long-awaited Second Avenue subway line. If you have ever taken the 6 from 6 am to 10 pm, then you know what I'm talking about. It's desperately needed.
Go vote or do not even consider complaining when your civil rights and services start being chipped away. In fact, if you don't vote and you are eligible to vote, just leave this planet now. People have died to give you that right, and your pampered ass should be sufficiently humble to give up just a shred of your time.
1 comment:
Do you think it's necessarily a good idea to encourage people to get out and vote when they can't be bothered to become educated on the issues and candidates? Personally, I'd rather people like that stayed home on the couch and finish watching "My Name Is Earl". I don't think the universe would have collapsed upon itself if Berkeley shirt guy got lost on his way to the polls.
I'd rather have a turnout of only the 20% of people who care enough to be informed than to have their educated ballots diluted by the other unwashed/unread 80%.
Post a Comment