Monday, January 16, 2006

Has Much Changed?

Today officially marks one year since this little corner of the internet was started. It also marks the actual birthdate of Martin Luther King, Jr.

Last year, I asked "so where are we now?" Now I'm asking it again.

The Rev. Al Sharpton and the National Black Justice Coalition are holding a summit of black religious leaders to attempt to combat homophobia within the black churches and the community-at-large.

On a considerably more shallow note, but nonetheless surprising to me, I watched My Sexual Harrassment on Q Television (via DVR) . If you had told me last year that we would have a gay premium channel broadcasting yaoi anime Cinemax-esque films in the US, I would've thought you were dreaming. For all the mocking I do of QTN, it certainly is beginning to establish a niche as the HBO/Showtime of the gay networks. If you have issues with LOGO (I don't, but some do) not allowing nudity and swearing, well they are definitely alive at QTN for $7.95 a month here.

Which brings me to another point. I'm shocked that we now have 3 gay networks available here in New York. Granted, Ozaukee County is still not offered LOGO on cable, but there's still a surprise there: Brokeback Mountain is playing in Mequon, the land of the closet cases.

So things are better, but there is still a need to avoid resting on our laurels. We still live in a society where we still really have no A-list stars publicly declaring that they are gay. We still live in a society where young white women going missing causes a national uproar, while children of colour barely make the front page. We still live in a society where there is still is inequality in payment and treatment based on the colour of skin, gender, nationality, and sexual orientation.

Yet, for a second today and tomorrow, do acknowledge the successes and visualise how to combat the problems that continue.

10 comments:

Clay said...

yes i agree with you man - there is so much work to do and a couple things here and there just isnt enough ........ oh and i'm back!

sttropezbutler said...

Keep our eyes on the prize!

Equality for ALL.

STB

Waddie G. said...

I hope that there will be good coming out of the meeting of Sharpton and NBJC.

Happy one year [blog] anniversary!

BostonPobble said...

It is too easy to think that we haven't gotten anywhere. We have. I lose sight of that sometimes. And losing sight of the fact that there have been changes is as dangerous as forgetting that we still have A Long Way to go. Still, thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Hikaru,

I echo your sentiment. I don't have a problem with Logo either. The more gay channels, the merrier. However, I think only Q Television can get gay tv right!

Queer in NYC

ShawnQt said...

I love the LOGO channel... once Noah's Arc comes back on, It's on! QTV huh?

Bougie Black Boy said...

are you stealing my readers now!? LOL

I think I'm just too Bougie for my own good.

Hikaru said...

Hehe. You have nothing to fear, Bougie.

Anonymous said...

After subscribing to Q Television, Logo is just gay-lite. Logo doesn't really feel like a gay channel anymore. QTN is the only gay channel for me now!

dondon009 said...

Happy One Year Anniversary!

I don't have any of the Gay channels but I think its time....

Equality for all, at this time unfortunately remains a "dream", but dreams can become reality. I just hope it's in my lifetime!

DON~