Thursday, November 10, 2005

Decision 2005: You Take The Good, You Take The Bad...

Well, this was really a mixed bag for me.

The rich closet case won in New York, albeit by 20% which was closer than expected but was sadly one of the largest percentages ever. I guess the Sex & The City yuppies, Uncle Toms, Aunt Condis, and power-hungry guppies just don't care about anybody other than themselves. For those who crossed party lines, I'm just going to point out this quote by RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman:

"Bloomberg's achievement, is particularly impressive when one takes into account that there are 5 Democrats for every 1 Republican in the city. Tonight's victory is testimony to the fact that voters are more concerned with the candidate and the platform that best represents their views."

You voted for a Bush-licker, you drank the Kool-Aid, now deal with the 4 year hangover.

On the other hand, Proposition 2 passed which will allow construction to start on the 2nd Avenue subway and connect the LIRR to Grand Central Station. Anyone who has ever used Penn Station during rush hour has got to be happy about that.

In Texas, the bigots got their ban on the constitution. My sympathies, especially to STB. I hope they see the error of the ways in the very near future. In Maine, however, the bid to repeal the LGBT anti-discrimination laws failed, so sanity did prevail there.

Then there were the governor's races. Porky Pig got trounced by Jon Corzine in New Jersey, and La Kilgore lost to Kaine (albeit by only 5 points, but still...), a victory made even more sweet by the fact that Bush campaigned for him. At least Thor the leatherman now gets his prize client back on a regular basis.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, buddy. You have a staunch Dem here, who would have voted for Bloomberg, if I were still in NYC. Bloomberg is not your average Republican. He actually crossed party lines in order to run for mayor over four years ago. He supports gay marriage and abortion; something the party faithful does not like. He has been good at bringing businesses or keeping businesses in NYC, he rested control of the school system from educrats and made the tough decisions no one wanted to make. He went full speed ahead against the teachers union and got the finally concede on some terms of their 500 page contract. He needs to finish the job. Give him a break. He even had his home phone listed and took calls from people who phoned him late at night to complain.

Hikaru said...

We're just going to have to agree to disagree here, Prince.

Any party which advocates discrimination, denial of basic civil rights - and attempts to use such issues as a wedge to split the country politically, does not have my best interests at heart.

And Bloomie crossing party lines and financially supporting (majorly) the RNC is indicative of where his opinions and ultimate beliefs are. Moreso, he has done jack towards skyrocketing rent, instead he chose to create pet projects that would benefit corporations and tourists as opposed to actual residents. If he had his druthers, New York would become a Disneyland where only the super-rich live and the rest of us would likely have to pay a fee just to use the sidewalk.

I was indifferent to him at first, but after these: 1) The chaos and police state that was the RNC Convention in 2004 (I live in spitting distance of MSG); 2) His "screw you gays" message in respect to fighting for gay marriage (Newsom had balls, Bloomie does not); 3) The West Side Stadium/Olympic bid; 4) Several months of police harrassment of nightlife--one of the main attractions of NYC; and 5) The smoking ban, which I freely admit was selfish (but why are cigar bars exempt?).

He most definitely got on my bad side. I do hope that his second term is better than the first, because I don't think we need more of the same, we need a radical change in him, since we're stuck with until 2009.

BostonPobble said...

For the first time since turning 18, I have missed an election. I was traveling and didn't even think when I made my reservations. And I'm the one in my group who preaches the importance of voting, the fact that people have died for us to have that right, "don't bitch if you don't vote...", etc. I feel like a slug. *sigh* Thanks for voting and preaching the word.

BostonPobble said...

Oh, and I know here in Boston, any place of business that can PROVE that at least 51% of its business comes from allowing smoking, then it can be a completely smoking establishment. Thus, why cigar bars are exempt from the smoking laws in MA.

Anonymous said...

I hear you out completely. On the gay marriage issue, I think he did the right thing in asking for the courts to decide. We all know the state is responsible for domestic relations, not the city. So it wouldn't have been right for him to take the approach Newsome or any other city official to usurp the law. What I like is that he threw it in Pataki's court - a republican I despise till my dying day.

Hikaru said...

Prince, we definitely agree on Pataki! I can't stand him, although it's always hilarious whenever he's down here with Bloomberg and other city officials, because it looks like Gulliver in Lilliput.

Pobble, MA passed a smoking ban? Wow. I thought they had a good compromise for while with the "no smoking in restaurants, but smoking allowed in bars" thing.

And absentee voting is fun. I mostly vote absentee in Wisconsin and as 2000 and 2004 showed, it's pretty critical.