Friday, November 18, 2005

OUT TV Lives!

You know that haphazardly run gay network on Will & Grace that Jack works for?

Well, it lives and is called Q Television. For $7.95 a month you can have it in New York now (which is getting it after Birmingham, Alabama and Eureka, California of all places). It looks very nice, with five hours of in-house live programming daily, but after watching it after only 20 minutes you can really tell how much money Viacom pumped into LOGO by comparison. Some of those sets look as rickety as an SRO off of 11th Avenue.

QTV has its own daily newscast which seems like it is normally hosted by a black man, but is guest anchored by Steve Kmetko this month, who is nearly unrecognisable and more jittery than I ever remember him. This newscast does seem very airy and casual, which is...I guess a good thing. (There was someone from Air America giving an anti-Bush commentary who said "goddamn." My kinda show.)

They have also given Reichen whateverhisnameisrightnow his own weekly call in show. Honey Labrador? She's got her own show. Dallas's gay and lesbian church, the Cathedral of Hope? They've got their own show. Hell, they seemed to have given anybody a show AND DAMMIT I WANT MY OWN! I mean you're airing Mirage of Blaze, which is an anime about gay angels of death. It's like you're just begging me to have my own half-hour.

QTV even has it's own Noah's Arc, called The Closet. (Cue the R. Kelly jokes, because lord knows that's what I thought.) Well, it looks like Noah's Arc except it's set in Baltimore, the men aren't physical adonises, and the acting looks and sounds straight out of Tyler Perry, pun intended. In fact, I think La Perry probably wrote this to be produced upon his death because it looks so unnecessarily overwrought. ("She said you were sleeping with her...and her husband!" SLAP!)

One thing that QTV has over LOGO so far is that they know that the gays love their dance music. (Seriously LOGO, you're an MTV network, you can at least give us an hour or two of pop/techno a day as opposed to having it just as filler.) All the obscure remixes of dance hits that you ever wanted. I need never go out to Splash again...okay, I probably will, but now it's just to get drunk.

I have found my guilty pleasure and I pray it stays kitschy and chaotic forever.

5 comments:

sttropezbutler said...

Just spent time catching up on what you had to say recently, and by the way I love you!

Have a great weekend!

STB

the young people's professor said...

yeah, nice blog man

Anonymous said...

What do you think about QueerEdge with Jack E. Jett? I think it's awesome. I am addicted to Q Television!

Hikaru said...

It looks like controlled chaos. I'm going to watch it if only to finally hear what they're saying since the sound is all wonky during the ads for it.

Anonymous said...

howdy mr hikaruland.

love the blog. thanks for the mention. our show, the queeredge, is a show that explores the counter culture of ALL that is queer. from indie bands, to dudes who strip while on a pogo stick.

it is meaningless fun, yet, my guest host, sandra bernhard gets in a good share of bush bashing.

thanks for letting me know about the sound issues.

i will check them out. i don't see any promo's so i was not aware of the problem.

peace,

jack e. jett