I noticed an interesting thing this morning on the treadmill: All three of the networks' weekend morning shows have a black male co-anchor.
Saturday Today: Lester Holt
Good Morning America Saturday: Ron Claiborne
The Saturday Early Show: Russ Mitchell
It's quite remarkable and perhaps a good sign of the future that there is practically no one pointing this out in the media. Remember the days when it was Bryant Gumbel and nobody else? Of course, the aforementioned trio are cut from a similar, but less abrasive and smug, cloth.
Now if we can just get rid of the jolly black weatherperson stereotype. (I'm looking right at you Mike Woods and Al Roker. Don't think you're exempt either, Janice Huff.)
4 comments:
Don't be too cynical, they have to represent.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...Let's deal with the weather people.
I don't care what color they are. Could we just have the damn weather.
STB
WHAT? Mike Woods is the hottest piece of eye candy delivering the weather today. Anytime I'm in NYC, I wake up just to get a glimpse of him from 5:30am onwards.
Mike Woods would be tolerable if:
1) He wasn't trying to be the sepia Sam Champion.
2) He would tilt his head lower on camera. Whenever they cut to him doing the weather we see straight into his nostrils. I don't need to see that in the morning.
You're correct, STB. I'm adding Dave Price to the list. All those perky people have got to go.
Post a Comment